A long trip to Wales was rewarded with a first point in three visits to Merthyr Town as Kings Langley returned with a 1-1 draw.

It could have been all three for Steve Conroy’s men though, who were in front from mid-way through the first half and held that advantage until the end of a game that come to an end in torrential rain leaving both sides relieved to hear the final whistle.

Saturday's point leaves Kings 13th in the Southern League Premier Division South, seven points behind their opponents who occupy the last of the play-off places in fifth in the table.

Following the 4-2 defeat at Beaconsfield Town, Junior Osborne returned at the heart of the back four and Dean Hitchcock regained his place in midfield as Jacob Cook dropped to the bench.

The dangerous Ian Traylor forced Alex Tokarczyk to tip over after three minutes, but Kings responded with a Mitchell Weiss shot and a Callum Adebiyi effort over the goal, before the Martyrs’ Kerry Morgan was offered an opportunity but missed his shot.

Osborne ventured forward to see his shot deflected, but Town’s ascendancy was shattered when a superbly flighted inswinging corner received the merest of touches from the head of Adebiyi and Kings were in front.

The visitors had the bit between their teeth and dangerous crosses from Stevie Ward, Adebiyi and Weiss stretched the home defence but reaped no reward.

The half closed with Martyrs’ striker Ryan Prosser shooting over from a looping cross and he was in action again early in the second period whenTokarczyk denied him when through.

Langley were more than matching their high-flying opponents and after a Hitchcock free-kick had been missed by the strikers at the far post, the defensively outstanding Jorell Johnson came up to see his header from a corner saved by Joe Perry and another shot blocked.

Still Kings pressed, with a 30-yarder from Roy Syla and a Ward-Weiss break ending with a good save from the keeper.

As the visitors attempted to game manage the final 15 minutes and Merthyr’s efforts became more desperate, it appeared that the points were going back over the Severn.

But with just seven minutes to go, Traylor produced his team’s best cross of the match and Prosser headed home a late equaliser.

Despite being pegged back, it had been an impressive team effort by the continually improving village side, who have now dented the aspirations of three of the top five in the last three weeks.

Kings Langley: Tokarczyk; Connolly, Osborne, Johnson, Adebiyi; Wade-Slater, Hitchcock, Syla (Cook 75), Ward; Howe, Weiss. Subs not used: Coldicott-Stevens, O’Keefe, Collier, Toiny-Pendred.