Tring Athletic experienced mixed fortunes in two cup competitions as they were knocked out of the FA Vase but advanced in the Herts Charity Shield.

Saturday saw Athletic take on Biggleswade in an FA Vase third round replay and again there was nothing to split the two sides in normal time as they played out a 0-0 draw.

With parity the order of the day for the tie, it needed penalties to decide who would advance and Tring were unable to hold their nerve as they lost 5-3 in the shootout.

Sam Jolliffe, Carl Mensah and Jack Read all found the net from 12 yards, but two misses and five perfect efforts from Biggleswade meant Tring went out.

Tring boss Ian Richardson couldn’t fault his players’ efforts but was nonetheless left with a sense of disappointment.

He said: “I am so proud of my boys today and gutted to go out on penalties.

“The lads were superb over two games and it was two good teams who fought for everything. We now need to get over this quickly and make sure we come out on top in the battle for the title.”

Tuesday night provided an immediate chance to bounce back in the Charity Shield and Tring did exactly that with a 4-1 away defeat of Letchworth Garden City.

Athletic's progress was secured from the second round tie with consummate ease as Read and Ashton Campbell both netted braces.

Bovingdon picked up a sizeable scalp in the League Challenge Trophy as they beat Biggleswade United on penalties to reach the quarter-final stage.

Playing against a side two divisions above them, few gave Bovingdon much of a chance but they held their own as Stephen Dodds’ equaliser earned a 1-1 draw.

They then showed composure in the shootout to emerge 4-3 as Dodds again proved the hero with the decisive kick.

Bovingdon will now face Enfield Borough in the last eight of the competition.

Leverstock Green capped a productive few days by reaching the semi-final of the St Mary’s Cup with a 5-2 victory over Bushey Sports Club.

Green shared the goal scoring duties in the game as Jordon Goode, Reynaldo Carbon, Alex Witham, Mark Smith and Marcus Campbell all found the net.

Advancing in the cup added to a battling and dramatic 1-0 league win over Stotfold for Green.

A keenly-contested clash looked to be heading for a goalless stalemate before Green won a free-kick three minutes from time.

Witham was given the task of finding the net and did so in fine fashion as he curled the ball over the Stotfold wall and into the top corner.

The narrow win leaves Green ninth in the South Midlands Premier Division table ahead of a game against Potton United tomorrow.