Oxhey Jets missed a penalty in the sixth minute of added time against second-placed Hadley to confine them to a 2-1 loss in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

An own goal from Vassili Manderville and a Ned Clarke tap-in had Hadley two goals to the good, but Sean Giordmaina halved the deficit before the late penalty miss.

The first-half lacked quality but was not helped by a high wind ripping over the pitch. Despite this, Hadley dominated possession and they made it count when Manderville got the final touch on a corner.

Manderville was then at fault for the second as his mistake allowed Clarke to round Matthew Evans for number two.

Giordmaina pounced on a loose ball to slot in for Jets and they were given a golden opportunity to level the game in the 96th minute when Nick Kerley was upended, but he blazed the spot-kick over to hand Hadley, who finished with 10 men after a comment made to the official, the win.

Ashton Campbell scored the only goal of the game as Tring Athletic kept their place at the top of the league with a 1-0 win away at Baldock Town.

Campbell had the first opportunity of the game when he was found by Jon Clements, but his left-footed shot from a tight angle went wide.

After the break, though, he notched his 24th goal of the season as he turned his marker and smashed past the keeper.

The game’s defining moment came with five minutes remaining though, as Athletic keeper Connor Samson was sent off after clattering into Kim Forsythe and conceding a penalty but, miraculously, defender Carl Mensah donned the gloves and guessed correctly to keep the penalty out and help Tring to hold on for the win.

Bovingdon continued their march at the top of Division 2, this time comfortably brushing aside New Bradwell St Peter.

Connor Deadman, Jamie Eames and Jordan Thurgood had them in a dominant position before a consolation from Callum Crossley got Bradwell on the board.

Deadman opened the scoring on 43 minutes after some relentless pressure, flicking up a low ball into the box before firing an excellent low volley into the corner.

Bovingdon doubled their lead 10 minutes after the restart when Eames fired into the bottom corner from outside the box, and Thurgood added the third when he tapped into an empty net.

Crossley pulled one back for Bradwell with a quarter of an hour remaining, but Bovingdon comfortably held on.

Finally, Leverstock Green put in a good performance against high-flying Biggleswade FC but were soundly beaten 2-0 in the Premier Division.

Abraham Eze got the scoring underway when he turned in Sam Kelly’s cross, and Nathan George doubled the advantage in the second half when he converted from the penalty spot after Luke Nugent had brought down Eze.