Katie O’Leary scored the only goal of the game as Watford FC Ladies got back to winning ways against Gillingham Ladies on Easter Sunday.

The Golden Girls defended well throughout the 90 minutes and their reward came when O’Leary headed in from close range to break the deadlock.

Elle Richards and Afiya Johnson were both handed starts for this game by head coach Armand Kavaja, while Danielle Scanlon returned to complete the changes to the side that lost against Chichester City Ladies last time out.

Most of the opening ten minutes was played in the middle third of the pitch although, as the half progressed, the Hornets gradually managed to get on top.

O’Leary had the first chance of the game when she connected well with a dropping ball, but her shot sailed narrowly over the crossbar, and both Jennifer Kikomeko and Alysha Stojko-Down fired off target in a positive start.

In the lead-up to half-time, Watford continued to pepper the Gillingham goal and Courtney Shanly was called into action three times to deny Stojko-Down, O’Leary and Andrea Carid from opening the scoring.

It took until the second half for the Gills to register their first real chance on goal when Alice Bussey gained possession in a dangerous area but Weronika Baranowska got down well to smother at her feet.

Finally, after 63 minutes, the Hornets netted the game’s first goal when Stojko-Down threaded the ball through for Adekite Fatuga-Dada and waiting at the back post for her floated cross was O’Leary, who had the simple task of nodding into the net and handing Watford the lead.

Gillingham responded well initially and the visitors were thankful to Baranowska when she tipped away Scarlett Kelly’s effort to preserve the one goal lead.

Watford had the chance to make the game safe in the dying minutes when Stojko-Down played in Leanne Bell, but her one-on-one attempt went over the bar.

It didn’t matter in the end though as the Golden Girls recorded their eighth win on the road in their final away game of the season, and they will return home for their final two matches at Kings Langley against C&K Basildon Ladies and Plymouth Argyle Ladies.