Herts Sunday Senior Cup Round One

The Watford Sunday League enjoyed a fine morning in the senior county cup, with all four of their sides in action winning through to the second round.

The pick of the results and performances came from St Josephs who beat Maccabi London MSFC Red 9-2.

The five-time winners of the competition have fallen on difficult times in the last couple of years, and had endured a wretched start to the league campaign with three defeats, but they finally got their season off and running with a superb victory on Sunday.

The rout started after just six minutes when Robbie Tocher rose highest to convert a cross.

After dominating the play a second finally followed 21 minutes later when James Yallop drove home from outside the box.

This goal opened the floodgates and a period of fine attacking play saw Joes score four times in quick succession through Mitchell Tearle. Hugo Figuerido and Josh Towel, who netted twice.

Joes started slowly in the second half and Maccabi scored twice after making changes, but any hope of comeback was ended when Dylan Caton finished a smart move with a simple tap-in.

This was quickly followed by a fine finish from Callum Tobin, before Towel completed the scoring and his hat-trick two minutes from time.

Evergreen enjoyed a 4-2 away victory over the other Maccabi London side, Blue.

This was a far tougher game as Evergreen fell behind to an early first-half goal, a lead which the home side held until early in the second period when Ben Adams crossed for Ryan O'Sullivan to finish.

Having got level, Evergreen were in front within a few minutes when a quick break by Tom Verbena saw him square for Al Jokiel to slam home.

The visitors failed to capitalise on more chances to seal the victory though, and they were made to pay when a free-kick was not dealt with and Maccabi equalised to take the game to extra-time.

Evergreen were to prove the fitter side in the additional half-an-hour and they went back in front after Hadyn Critchell-Ward had set up Ryan O'Sullivan only to see his goal-bound shot saved by a defender on the line, which resulted in a penalty and red card.

O'Sullivan despatched the penalty and then sealed the victory deep into the second period when he burst clear to complete his hat-trick.

Chorleywood Club enjoyed a 4-0 away win over Welwyn Garden United.

Ryan McMahon put them ahead after 27 minutes from the penalty spot and they never looked back from then on.

Prince Nimoh scored twice in a three-minute spell around the hour mark, before Clement Asante completed the win eight minutes from time.

Old Fullerians, another side who have not the best of starts in the league, had a good 2-0 win over last season’s Berkhamsted Sunday League runners-up Flaunden.

The game was won thanks to two goals from Craig Totton, one in each half.

First he got to a Charlie Hailey through ball just ahead of the advancing keeper, and then after a period of heavy Flaunden pressure Totton curled a finish into the top corner after good work from Charlie Hailey and Ryan Woosley.

Premier Division

The top two in the table, Reed Rangers and Oakview, had contrasting wins.

Champions Oakview were given a massive fright by Tudor Athletic before edging through to a 4-3 victory.

Lewis Putman gave Oakview the lead after 20 minutes before George Hobson headed their opponents level just before the break.

Despite being down to 10 men due to a sin bin, Putman restored the Okaview lead in the second half, firing a free-kick past his former team-mate Cameron Inch.

The game then flowed back towards Tudor, with another former Oakview player Spencer Bellotti racing onto a loose ball to equalise.

Just as the game looked like turning in Tudor’s favour Putman hauled his team back from the brink, first restoring the lead to complete his hat-trick when he raced onto a through ball and slotted home, and then turning provider for Chris Blunden with 12 minutes left.

Athletic still refused to give in, and Sam Clarke headed in a corner to set up a frantic finish but the champions held on.

Reed Rangers had a far easier 90 minutes with a 10-0 demolition of FC Unicorn.

It took Reed until midway through the first half to open the scoring through Lewis Stead. He then turned provider, setting up goals for Chris Colman, Bradley Sweeney and Dom David.

The goals continued to flow in the second half. Andrew Brennan netted a quick-fire hat-trick, with the others coming from John Smith, Sweeney and Colman to complete their braces.

Division One

Maple Cross made it four wins out of four with a 3-1 victory over Cassiobury Rangers.

Cassiobury had the better of the first half but failed to take their chances before the home side went in front right on half-time, before adding two more in the second period.

Tom Horton (2) and Andrew Pryor were on target for Cross, with Cassiobury’s goal coming from a late Joe Mortimer penalty.

Below Maple Cross, the division looks to be very competitive, with just one point separating the next seven clubs.

AFC Leavesden lead the chasing pack after they beat Langleybury CC 5-0.

Tom Bourke opened the scoring in the first half from a free-kick.

The advantage was doubled after the break when Mark Riddick put Jack Carter through to finish calmly, Lucas Halligan then added a third, while Ozzie Ogbebor made it four after being set up by Alex Diaz.

Alieu Gibril then scored the best of the five goals, taking the ball past one defender, smartly rounding the goalkeeper and slotting home.

Everett Rovers are next in the table on goal difference following their 5-3 win against FC Woodside.

Reece Cameron put Everett ahead before Woodside scored twice to take a lead into the break, through Nathan Gullin and Scott Seamons.

Jake Knight then scored twice for Everett, the second a rare header, Craig Scott netted from a free-kick to make it four, and this was followed by Cameron’s second of the contest.

Seamons scored a late third and his second for Woodside.

Fox & Stone had to come back from an early West Herts goal before winning 5-1.

Tiago Campos finished into the top corner after a swift counter attack to put the Stags in front.

Jude Bell then prevented what looked like a certain second West Herts goal with a last-ditch tackle, and this was the point at which the game changed in Stone’s favour. Soon after Alex Witham curled a free-kick home for the equaliser.

West Herts ran out of steam after the break, with Witham completing his hat-trick, before two further goals from Matt Elgey and Josh Noyes.

Ardent inflicted a 6-1 defeat on the previously unbeaten Bushey Rangers.

The victors took the lead with a long-range strike from Jamie Kavanagh with a second soon following when Charlie Salvage converted a penalty.

Salvage then added, latching onto a through ball and dispatching it with power and precision, but Bushey pulled a goal back when Stephen King fired home a failed clearance from the edge of the box.

Salvage completed his hat-trick after the interval when a close-range free-kick fell into his path to tap home.

Matt Johnson headed home a corner for Ardent’s fifth, before Stuart Raine scored the sixth.

The new-look North Watford have a second win on the board after a 5-2 victory over AFC Bedmond who were left with nothing to show for their best performance of the season so far.

Mauro Urgo headed Bedmond ahead before their opponents scored three times before the break through Junior Osbourne, Conor Flanagan and Ashley Harewood.

Harewood added his second after the break, Daniel Wilman scored the fifth, before Leo Kokaj netted a late consolation for Bedmond.

Division Two

Leaders The Victoria beat Croxley 7-2 thanks to doubles from Dan Bourne and Dean Brinton, with Matt Mason, Charlie Wharton and Todd Armstrong scoring the others. Samba scored his own brace for Croxley in reply.

Bennetts End Rovers also have maximum points following a 4-0 win over Chess United.

Lee Puddephatt, Danny Roberts, Josh Burtt and Kye Allport were all on target.

ACS Milan are up to fourth place after they hit ERFC for six unanswered goals.

Calvin Monaghan led the way with a brace and Matt Gibsone, Liam Finnegan, Pat Sheridan and Ben Davies were also on target.

Bushey Sports Club where the other side among the goals as they put five past Woodlands United 1984, Rob Gradwell and Georgie Burden both scoring twice with Joe Da Silva hitting the other.

The other game saw Dome Bar beat Ricky AFC 2-0 thanks to efforts from Harry Davies and Matt Byrne.

Division Three

There was goals galore in the bottom division with 37 scored in total across the five games, but Skyline and SOCA were the only two sides to claim maximum points.

Shoaib Ali was the star man for Skyline, scoring four times as they beat Watford Athletic 8-1.

Gbohun Palmer-Inyang netted twice and Fizzy Ahmed and Adam Lincoln got the others. Connell Russell scored Athletic’s consolation.

SOCA had a closer affair with Hertfordshire Eagles before they came out on top 4-2 thanks mainly to Tyler Conner’s hat-trick.

Pearse White got SOCA’s other goal, with Charlie Kimpton and Jordan Osbourne replying.

The biggest scorers in the division were Sun Sports who put 10 goals past Inter.

Daniel Moss struck three times, there were two goals each for Hamze Ali and Ryan Boyle, with Hamid Ali, Dion Belle and Ben Dunton also on target.

White Horse were also in free-scoring form, hitting seven against Batchworth in a 7-1 win.

Craig Putman got four of them, with Floyd Thompson, Charlie Vos and Humza Khan also scoring. Dean Alexander was once again on target for Batchworth.

The other game between RBL Croxley and Woodside Wanderers ended in a 2-2 draw.

Darren O'Brien and Asha Alleyne got the RBL goals, with Flavio Pena and Gary Wicks replying.