Watford's problems continue to mount and they are now the only Premier League side without a win after Wolverhampton Wanderers secured their first one with a 2-0 victory at Molineux.

Quique Sanchez Flores selected a side that, on paper at least, had plenty of attacking quality. But on paper was where much of it remained as the Hornets failed to turn plenty of periods of possession into many chances of note while their all too familiar problems at the other end again reared their head.

The first goal was always going to be particularly important going into a contest between two winless sides and it was the hosts who got it when Matt Doherty was allowed to run in unchecked from the right flank to apply the finishing touch to a cross into the six-yard box.

Too much of Watford’s approach play was ponderous and static thereafter, playing into Wolves’ hands as they were increasingly content to play on the counter.

Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio was having a relatively quiet afternoon until he was tested by a Jose Holebas header, but the decisive second arrived in ridiculous circumstances when Daryl Janmaat headed into his own net after a Doherty cross had been glanced on.

Sanchez Flores made four changes to the side that was humiliated at Manchester City last weekend, selecting a team that looked both exciting and well balanced.

There were full league debuts for Ismaila Sarr and Danny Welbeck, Craig Cathcart returned from injury while Janmaat was preferred at right-back. Kiko Femenia dropped to the bench but there was no place in the 18 for Will Hughes, Dimitri Foulquier and Adrian Mariappa.

Like their opponents, Wolves also advanced into the fourth round of the Carabao Cup in midweek, albeit after penalties, but Nuno Espirito Santo made just the one alteration from the team that snatched a last-gasp draw at Crystal Palace last weekend.

It was a significant change as well because the influential Diogo Jota was ruled out through injury, with his place taken by Pedro Neto.

It took only 41 seconds for the Hornets to have the first attempt of the afternoon; Welbeck dragging a 20-yard effort well wide after Sarr had intercepted a sloppy cross-field pass from Adama Traore.

The hosts were also soon to register their first attempt of the contest, with Raul Jimenez firing into the side netting from the right side of the 18-yard box after latching onto a pass forward from Willy Boly and getting away from Cathcart.

Wolves were in down the Hornets’ left again when Doherty sought to capitalise on a space vacated by Holebas, but the wing-back was unable to pick out a team-mate with a cross.

Back came the visitors, with Janmaat and Gerard Deulofeu playing in dangerous crosses from their respective flanks, the second of which led to the first corner of the match. From this though, the ball was cleared to Neto on the right, he beat Holebas for pace and centred across the six-yard box, but Abdoulaye Doucuoure did enough to distract Jimenez, who was unable to turn his close-range effort on target.

There then followed a patient passage of play from both sides but in the 18th minute Wolves scored the all-important first goal.

The sharp end of the move was on the left as Jonny slipped a pass inside to Neto, who was allowed to run in behind and he centred across the six-yard box where Doherty had the simplest of finishes, having been allowed to run in unhindered from wide on the right as Holebas was exposed defensively yet again.

Watford tried to muster an immediate response – Deulofeu shooting into the side netting after cutting inside on the left – but the visitors were soon being opened up down their left flank again as Traore fizzed in another dangerous delivery.

Sarr was struggling to have any meaningful impact on proceedings, but he did have an opportunity in the 34th minute when he was given the opportunity to turn and shoot in the area, only to slice his effort badly wide.

The Wolves fans were appealing for a penalty soon after when a Traore cross hit Holebas on the hand, but such was the short distance between the players – and the fact the full-back was also pulling away his arm - referee Paul Tierney instantly shook his head.

A lengthy delay in play followed as Romain Saiss received treatment after a clash of heads with a team-mate while trying to clear his lines.

The Wolves medical staff were soon back on again when Jimenez lost out in a challenge with Craig Dawson and appeared to damage the bottom of his back, but he was also able to continue as his side went into the break a goal to the good.

Sanchez Flores made a change at the start of the second half, bringing on Roberto Pereyra for Deulofeu, but although the Hornets continued to see plenty of the ball, there was no immediate improvement in their attacking play.

But that almost changed in the 54th minute when after twisting and turning Doherty numerous times on the left, the Argentinian stood up a cross and Holebas – unexpectedly appearing in a central striking position – met it with a downward header which Patricio fumbled, but he reacted in time to prevent Tom Cleverley from converting the rebound.

This woke Wolves from their rather defensive mindset and Neto warmed Ben Foster’s gloves with a stinging drive, before the Wolves youngster was replaced in the 57th minute by Morgan Gibbs-White.

But Watford’s difficult afternoon was to get even worse four minutes later.

Cathcart was caught out of position as he went in for a challenge and lost the ball, but again the reaction of those around him was poor as Doherty surged forward and clipped in a cross which Gibbs-White glanced on but Janmaat, who had nobody really near him, headed into his own net.

Andre Gray came on for Sarr in the 71st minute and with his first touch the substitute headed the ball to Welbeck, who cut inside before unleashing a right-footed shot which Patricio had to dive to push away.

Wolves were almost in again soon after though, as Traore’s deep cross from the right was met by a sliding Jonny at the far post, but he could only find the side netting.

Patrick Cutrone came on for Jimenez with 11 minutes remaining as their opponents’ search for a way back into the contest became increasingly desperate, but at least Gray and Doucoure forced Patricio into saves.

That search for a goal continued until the closing stages but, in truth, the Hornets had rarely looked like breaching Wolves’ organised defensive ranks.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Patricio; Boly, Coady, Saiss; Doherty, Dendoncker, Mountinho, Jonny; Neto (Gibbs-White 57); Traore (Neves 87), Jimenez (Cutrone 79). Subs not used: Ruddy, Bennett, Vinagre, Kilman.

Watford: Foster; Janmaat, Dawson, Cathcart, Holebas; Doucoure, Capoue; Sarr (Gray 71), Cleverley, Deulofeu (Pereyra 46; Welbeck. Subs not used: Gomes, Chalobah, Quina, Femenia, Kabasele.

Bookings: Holebas for a foul on Traore (68).

Attendance: 30,711.

Referee: Paul Tierney.