Stoke City manager Michael O'Neill said he felt "aggrieved" after Watford's controversial equaliser in last night's 3-2 Hornets victory at Vicarage Road.

Steven Fletcher had put the Potters ahead after just 90 seconds, but a goal, eventually awarded as an Angus Gunn own goal levelled the tie before half-time.

The goal was awarded when referee Andy Davies received a signal from the goal-line technology on his watch signalling that the ball had crossed the line.

However, a second look at the incident showed that the ball did not appear to cross from the initial shot by Tom Cleverley, but had in fact gone in when Gunn was barged over the line by Watford striker Joao Pedro, with head coach Vladimir Ivic later saying he "heard they had been lucky".

"We didn't feel it was a goal," said O'Neill after the game. "I'm looking back at it and seeing the television replays and it's clear the initial shot doesn't cross the line. I think possibly the technology is triggered by then the contact between the Watford player and Angus, which puts the ball over the line. So, yeah, we felt very aggrieved for the goal."

Watford Observer:

O'Neill said he was in favour of the use of technology, but said the officials have to use it to guide their decisions rather than simply tell them what to do.

"They're being told with the technology, but they have to look at the events as well," said the Stoke boss. "And so, possibly on this occasion, the technology didn't help them in any way. I think without the technology it wouldn't have been a goal to be honest, it was the technology that told them that the goal was there but I think in this case, when you review it and you see the events, I think it was a very harsh decision against us."

After awarding the decision, Davies walked over to the touchline where his fourth official James Linington appeared to try and explain the mistake to the referee, whose hands were tied by the fact the goal had been awarded anyway.

Watford Observer:

O'Neill said he was not sure what the conversation between the two officials had been about, but claimed he had received no clarity on the situation.

"I don't know, to be honest, where there's another opinion that comes into or not," he added. "But on this occasion, as I say, we were lost to find why the goal was given.

"If you ask [Davies] he may be able to get you some clarity, but we certainly didn't get any clarity tonight."