Reaction to an appalling terrorist attack in Manchester, a building collapse in Bushey and a snub to Watford ahead of the Olympics were among the stories making our headlines five and ten years ago this week.

Five years ago

Watford will stand in 'solidarity and grief' after terror attack in Manchester

Watford Council will be flying its flags at half mast on council buildings today as a mark of respect to those who died in the horrific terrorist attack in Manchester.

Watford Observer:

Armed police in Manchester following the explosion at the Manchester Arena. Picture: Peter Byrne/PA Wire

Mayor Dorothy Thornhill said the flags at the town hall would be lowered.

She said:"This is a tragedy and our thoughts are with the people of Manchester today.

"It’s hard to fathom such a cowardly attack and one that could have happened anywhere.

"We are now all having to plan in our town.

"All our emergency services work with stakeholders to prepare for this happening here.

"I pray it never will but sadly we have to be prepared."

Watford Observer:

A still taken of footage taken by the drone. Image credit: Hertfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue

Pharmacy struggles to deal with backlog after building collapse

Lives were endangered after a pharmacy was closed following the collapse of a neighbouring building.

Staff from Tweens Pharmacy, High Street, Bushey were among those evacuated from the road at around 2.00pm on Monday, May 22.

The street was closed that afternoon as there was concern that the damaged building may collapse and pull down other buildings in the street.

The pharmacists were concerned that they would not be able to provide around 100 prescriptions for patients who rely on their medication.

High Street was reopened to the public at around 7.00pm on Tuesday, May 23.

Four builders were taken to hospital with minor injuries as the roof of the three-storied terrace-building came down.

Watford Observer:

Marco Silva has agreed terms with Watford. Picture: Action Images

Silva to take over as Hornets head coach

Marco Silva has become Watford’s new head coach after agreeing personal terms with the Vicarage Road club.

The Portuguese has topped the Hornets' wish list to take over from the departed Walter Mazzarri, who was relieved of his duties earlier this month.

While he was unable to save Hull City from the drop, the manner in which he turned the Tigers’ dire form around having arrived at the KCOM Stadium in January impressed.

Securing the 39-year-old’s services represents a coup for Watford as they beat off competition from both Crystal Palace and Porto for his signature.

Ten years ago

Watford 'largest town left off Olympic torch relay route'

Watford is the largest town in the UK to be left off the London 2012 Olympic torch relay route.

During a 70-day voyage the Olympic flame will pass by within an hour's journey of 95 per cent of the UK's population, including the Isle of Man and Orkney.

Hertfordshire residents can see the torch in Hemel Hempstead and St Albans - but not in Watford.

Watford Observer:

Schools' joy at government approval for £2bn re-build

Schools in Watford and Kings Langley are celebrating after learning they will be given the funding to replace worn out classrooms and facilities.

Garston Manor School, in Horseshoe Lane, Westfield Community Technology College, in Tolpits Lane, and Kings Langley Secondary School, in Love Lane, were all put forward by Hertfordshire County Council.

They are among 261 schools across the country which will be rebuilt under the Priority School Building Programme which will cost the government £2bn, it was announced.

Watford Observer:

Storey Court fire started accidentally by workmen

A fire that ripped through the roof of sheltered accommodation in Bushey was accidentally caused by plumbers replacing heating and hot water boilers, a report has concluded.

On Tuesday March 6, fire engulfed the roof of Storey Court, in Barley Close, as residents and carers remained inside.

Thanks to desperate efforts of neighbours, carers and firefighters, all 19 residents and three staff were safely evacuated from the Aldwyck Housing Group-owned building.

The blaze took firefighters several hours to extinguish, and residents were forced to seek shelter in Bushey Grove Leisure Centre for the remainder of the evening.