A dominant performance went unrewarded as Watford Ladies were knocked out of the Women’s FA Cup by Penn & Tylers Green 1-0.

The hosts had the lion’s share of the possession and chances but were unable to capitalise as a late goal clinched the win for Penn & Tylers in the second round qualifying tie.

Coach Jordan Williams said: “We played with heart and creativity, but it just wasn’t our day.”

Watford Under-18 Warriors got their JPL league season off to a flying start, coming from behind twice as they beat Notts County 5-2 in an absorbing encounter.

It was the visitors who started the stronger, taking the lead with a composed finish. But Watford quickly found their rhythm and Charlotte Forster calmly equalised after being put through by Katie Lemon.

County hit back immediately to make it 2-1, but silky footwork and a fine solo goal from Safiya Dean brought the scores level again. Dean turned provider and Forster’s second made it 3-2 to the home team.

The second half was dominated by Watford as Dean scored her second. The player of the match sealed the points with a well-earned hat-trick, following a great run and cross from Maria Fernanda Toledo.

It was a fine performance from a team playing only their second competitive game together. The Under-15 Warriors also won their opening JPL league match with a convincing 5-2 victory against the London Football Talent Centre, with five different goal scorers.

Ella Weaver opened the account after being played in by Cassidy Davies. LFTC equalised soon after, only for Watford to respond with two fine strikes from captain Amy Moynihan and Marcia Itani, both again assisted by Davies.

After the break, Chloe Bright made it 4-1 with a wonder goal assisted by Weaver. The visitors were determined to stay in the game and pulled one back a minute later, however Olivia Henry put the game out of reach when she went on a surging run, playing a one-two with Eva Delaney and firing home.

The Under-12 Warriors provided the third home JPL success of the weekend, with an emphatic 14-0 thrashing of Ebbsfleet United.