For three games Watford struggled to score goals. Today that wasn’t the problem – it was giving them away down the other end that cost them all the points in a crazy 3-3 draw at Coventry.

Three times the Hornets led, and the forwards certainly did their bit.

Maleta Rajovic scored twice on his full debut and Matheus Martins struck a cracker – and on most other days that would be three points, thank you very much.

However, all afternoon Watford seemed intent on beating themselves. Underhit passes, poor decisions, trying to do the clever rather than the simple. It was all very avoidable and unnecessary.

The free kick that led to Coventry’s first equaliser came as a result of over-playing, their second goal was an own goal of nightmare proportions from Wes Hoedt, and then in the lead-up to Coventry’s third Ryan Porteous fell to the ground holding his face - his manager said the player got a "fist in the face" but without access to replays it's impossible to be sure of what actually happened.

It was maddening to watch the Hornets take their chances so well at one end, only to basically do what they could to serve up the home side a route back into the game on a plate each time.

This should have been three points, and the fact Watford pulled the rug from under their own feet makes it all the more galling.

The head coach talks about a process and it’s clear to see the style of football he wants to play. But he cannot – nor should he have to expect to – plan for some of the circus moments his side dished up today.

And before it all got silly, Daniel Bachmann made an excellent penalty save, though the skipper might feel he should have done better with the free-kick for Coventry’s equaliser.

Watford have gone from giving virtually nothing away but being blunt in attack, to hitting three goals on the road and wrapping each of them back up for the hosts.

Still the Watford travelling fans wait for the first away win since January 2, and they have every right to feel very, very frustrated on the relatively short trip home.

There were first starts for both Tom Ince and Rajovic, while Francisco Sierralta and Imran Louza returned to the starting line-up.

Ismael Kone, Yaser Asprilla, Vakoun Bayo and Edo Kayemebe all dropped to the bench.

In the sixth minute Coventry were caught playing out from the back, Louza stole the ball and slipped it to Ince, whose curling shot was deflected just wide.

Nine minutes later Tom Dele-Bashiru took a pass from Louza on halfway and ran at the heart of the Coventry defence. He got to the edge of the box and had options left and right, but delayed and was tackled.

The home side were awarded what looked a very harsh penalty in the 18th minute when a cross struck Ryan Porteous – referee Mr Webb decided it hit his arm, but even if it did his arm seemed in a natural position and close to his body.

However, skipper Daniel Bachmann made that academic when he got a really strong arm to Matty Godden’s spot-kick, not just blocking the effort but forcing it far enough away from goal that the follow-up was lashed over.

Hearts were in mouths four minutes later when Josh Eccles hit the deck in the box after a tussle with Porteous, but Mr Webb showed the Coventry player a yellow card for diving.

Wes Hoedt came to the rescue shortly after when Haji Wright twice went past Porteous in the box only to see the Dutch defender slide in and block his shot.

Then, in the 35th minute, the goal drought ended and Watford went ahead.

Patience at the back saw Bachmann eventually pick out Sema, and he played a fine angled ball into space created by drawing the home side in.

Ince ran onto it and attacked the box on the right, pulling the ball back for Rajovic to force home.

The lead last only six minutes though and Watford were the architects of their own downfall.

Sierralta had done the hard work and won the ball in midfield, then gave it away and conceded a free kick 25 yards out. Milan van Ewijk stepped up curled it up and over the wall, and into the bottom corner – Bachmann may well feel he should have done better.

Six minutes after the break Watford went back in front with a goal of real quality from Matheus Martins – the sort of thing he’s been trying all season.

Sema took a return ball from Rajovic in midfield and set Martins free down the left. The winger cut in towards the box and then curled a fine shot beyond Wilson.

Just after the hour, Watford won a free-kick 20 yards out and Louza curled it up and over the wall, forcing Wilson to go full-length to tip it away.

Then, after 63 minutes, Watford concede the goal we all dreaded.

They were in possession just outside their own box, Hoedt had the chance to play a long ball but instead he spun and played it back towards Bachmann – except the keeper wasn't where the defender thought he was and the ball rolled into the net.

There was nearly another disaster in the 72nd minute. Sema played a ball back towards his own defence but straight to the feet of Wright. He turned and shot, but it was deflected wide.

Then, in the 78th minute, Coventry got in on the act of shooting yourself in the foot and gifted Watford a 3-2 lead.

Thomas had the ball in his own box and tried to play it back to Wilson under pressure from, Bayo but underhit the pass. Bayo stabbed it across goal and Rajovic fired into the net.

But once again the Hornets failed to hold onto their lead.

In the 86th minute Porteous was chasing Wright for a pass down the right. The defender dropped to the ground holding his face, Wright played on and squared for Godden to atone for his penalty miss and sweep home the equaliser.

Four minutes into stoppage time there was a scare as Bachmann went for a deep free kick but didn’t get there - however McFadzean headed into the side netting from a tight angle.

Within a minute Watford so nearly had a fourth, as they broke with men over. Defenders scattered and Asprilla strode through the middle before letting fly from 25 yards, forcing Wilson to tip over at full stretch.

Watford: Bachmann; Andrews (Ngakia 56), Porteous, Hoedt, Sema; Sierralta (Pollock 74); Louza, Dele-Bashiru (Chakvetadze 56); Ince (Asprilla 56), Rajovic, Martins (Bayo 74). Subs: Hamer, Livermore, Kone, Kayembe