This was grim. Dreadful wet weather, opponents missing 11 senior players and who had conceded eight goals in their last two games, and yet Watford could barely muster a shot at goal worthy of the name.

It would be tempting to describe this as one that got away – but to use that phrase would suggest Watford had the game in their hands at some point.

Possession football is great and can be really impressive when it leads to waves of attacks and a barrage of attempts at an overworked keeper.

This was not that.

Instead, it was an afternoon of Watford having the ball for more than 70% of the match, but mustering just three on-target efforts all of which were comfortably saved.

The home side were, understandably, happy to sit back and see if Watford could find a way to win the game. Quite quickly, it was clear it was going to be a long afternoon as the Hornets moved the ball sideways and backwards but seldom forward.

When they did go towards goal, it generally came to nothing or the ball was quickly shovelled back out to the flanks or to midfield.

Pass, pass, pass – in fact the Hornets made 655 passes in the game. If passing the ball around either side of the halfway line is what rocks your boat, then order a DVD of this game. You’ll love it.

With Huddersfield seemingly happy to take a point and Watford apparently lacking any real idea of how to wrestle two more from their hosts, the game turned into a stale, miserable spectacle that deserved to be played in miserable, depressing weather conditions.

The afternoon was summed up quite well near the end – as the game headed towards stoppage time, Watford had the ball midway inside their own half. The home side had every player midway inside theirs.

The two central defenders passed the ball 20 yards, side to side, from one to another, gradually edging a few yards forward each time. It took four passes to get to halfway with the home players sat, in their own half, watching it all.

For most of the game it felt a like a boxing match with one fighter generally back tracking around the ring while the other followed him, hoping he’d trip over and knock himself out rather than trying to land a decisive punch.

Yes it was a clean sheet, another point and a fifth game unbeaten. There are positives, especially when away games earlier in the season had ended in sound beatings.

However, football is about winning and to do so becomes very difficult when your primary concern is keeping hold of the ball, and making use of it comes a distant second.

Watford had every single player available. The home side had an entire team ruled out. Watford came into the game unbeaten in four. The hosts had lost two on the bounce and conceded eight.

In those circumstances, there was every right to expect far better than what we saw today.

There was one change for Watford, as Giorgi Chakvetadze came in for Ismael Kone, who dropped to the bench.

The first half was particularly low-key, from both sides.

Watford bossed possession but created very little, and Huddersfield offered no more at the other end, leading to 45 minutes played out mainly in the middle third.

There was a scare in the 15 minute when Dan Bachmann forced to try and clear long after a series of passes at the back, the ball struck the giant Kyle Hudlin and bounced wide.

The first shot of any note came in the 27th minute when Ben Jackson cut in and fired straight at Bachmann.

Seven minutes later the Watford keeper comfortably held a low drive from Sorba Thomas before Watford had arguably the best effort of the half three minutes later.

Nice control and lay-off from Yaser Asprilla on the right allowed his move the ball inside to Edo Kayembe, and the midfielder curled a shot from the edge of the box, forcing Lee Nicholls to parry it away.

A minute after the restart Vakoun Bayo laid the ball off for Asprilla to drill a low shot that Nicholls turned round the near post – but any hope that was a sign the second half was going to be brighter was soon extinguished.

The home side continued to be happy to get bodies behind the ball, and Watford simply didn’t show enough enterprise to find a way through, round or over them.

In fact, despite having 73% of the ball in the second half, they mustered only two attempts of any note.

Jamal Lewis benefitted from a ricochet to run into the box but then shot tamely at Nicholls, and Ismael Kone curled an effort over the top from 20 yards.

It really was that short on anything noteworthy.

Watford: Bachmann; Ngakia (Andrews 62), Sierralta, Hoedt, Lewis; Livermore, Kayembe, Chakvetadze (Kone 65); Sema, Bayo (Rajovic 65), Asprilla (Martins 86). Subs not used: Hamer, Porteous, Louza, Healey, Pollock