The FA has refused to reveal the conclusions of an investigation into a boy being hit by lightning during a school football match in Hertfordshire.

The 12-year-old was struck during a district tournament at The Sele School in Hertford last month – which left the child fighting for his life.

Herts Police later confirmed he was in a “serious but stable” condition, before a fundraiser for his “ongoing treatment and rehabilitation” garnered £52,000.

However, many people criticised allowing children to play football in a thunderstorm, which came amid a yellow Met Office weather warning.

It is understood that an investigation has since been completed by the English Schools FA. After being approached by the Watford Observer, it directed the request to the FA.

Having been asked specifically for the probe’s conclusions, an FA spokesperson said: “The circumstances of this unfortunate incident have been reviewed by the local authority, who we have been in contact with. Our thoughts are with the player and their family at this incredibly difficult time.”

The FA and English Schools FA did not respond to a second request for the conclusions.

Dennis O’Sullivan, headteacher at The Chauncy School, where the boy was a pupil, said: “I do hope that responsible bodies will look at the dreadful, life-threatening accident and be able to tell schools and families what happened and what, if anything, could have been done to avoid it.

“I know that the PE teachers present at the game were saddened and upset by events and I believe the referee would join them in wanting clear guidelines on what to do in future cases.”

He continued: “What has the investigation so far shown as to reassuring teachers, referees, parents and their children that there are procedures for action in situations where imminent storms are forecast?”

On the fundraiser page, set up by the boy’s family, they wrote: “With 4 minutes left off the game to be played the unthinkable took place with [the boy] being struck to the chest by lightning! This resulted into a cardiac arrest and his heart stopping for a 30-minute period.

“A huge thank you for the members of the public who administered CPR prior to the arrival of the emergency services, who were able to take over and give this boy a second chance of life.”