If you’re going to set up and play in a way that clearly suggests nicking a point is your main aim, then you really have to follow that through and do so.

Otherwise, you end up with an afternoon like this, where Watford spent the first three-quarters of the game doing their best to frustrate and deny Leicester but ended up rather comfortably beaten even though the game was locked at 0-0 for so long.

It verged on too much respect for the league leaders. Admittedly when you look at Leicester’s team you do wonder how they got to be in the Championship in the first place, but perhaps the Hornets were guilty of being too star-struck.

This wasn’t as timid and spineless as the defeats at Leeds and Sunderland. There was fight and spirit, and Watford were disciplined in the way they stuck to their game plan.

The trouble was, it invited pressure – and as the game wore on it progressed from the occasional chance to wave after wave of Leicester attacks.

Having the luxury of bringing on a former England international who could afford to miss two clear chances before finally killing Watford off underlined the difference between the two squads.

Having gone a goal down, Watford then had to try and switch from defensive rigidity to something more expansive.

They had one decent chance, but had they managed to go home with a point it would been quite a steal. Leicester had 13 goal attempts in the second half, six of which were on target – it’s hard to argue they deserved to win.

That Watford ended with Ryan Porteous in goal, who was then beaten by the penalty for Leicester’s second, came as a result for a second yellow for Dan Bachmann whose foul conceded the spot kick.

Just back from concussion, Bachmann will now have another break, the second time he’s been sent off in the last two seasons.

This was a routine victory for the home side, even if it took them longer than they would have liked to actually win the game.

It’s an illustration of where Watford are at that they felt they had to come here and set up to basically try and nick a goalless draw. To some that may be understandable, but it wasn’t a pretty watch and ultimately it failed.

This is the first of a series of games against the sides nearer the top of the table: it’ll be interesting to see if the Hornets are more attack minded and have the belief in their own ability to try and win the games that lay ahead.

Bachmann returned in goal for the Hornets, after missing the 5-0 win over Rotherham due to concussion.

There were two other changes to the starting XI, with Tom Ince and Imran Louza coming in, and Yaser Asprilla and Ismail Kone dropping to the bench.

It was a very hard-working first 45 minutes from Watford, who were diligent and disciplined in their approach.

Never allowing Leicester to settle, they chased and harried to make sure the home side were never able to get too comfortable.

One noticeable tactic was Ryan Porteous clearly stepping out of defence to clamp down on Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall in midfield.

There was a scare in the ninth minute as Watford gave the ball away in their own half and Wilfred Ndidi broke through the middle, but Jake Livermore did enough to slow him down and Bachmann came out to smother

Straight after there was a chance at the other end as Watford moved the ball from left to right, and Ince dragged a low ball across the six-yard box. It got a slight deflection which may be why Rajovic then totally missed his kick as it ran past him.

In the 12th minute Watford were caught by a quick free kick which released Dewsbury-Hall on the left. The home side had men over in the box but when the cross came in Wes Hoedt managed to slide and block before Jamal Lewis cleared to safety.

Imran Louza curled a 20-yard free-kick over the wall but also over the bar before Dewsbury-Hall turned in midfield and struck a shot from 25 yards which Bachmann dived to hold

A clever free-kick on the half hour from Leicester saw James Justin roll the ball for Dewsbury-Hall to curl a low 25-yard effort that wrong-footed Bachmann and span just past the post

Two minutes before the break came the best chance of the game so far as Dewsbury-Hall stood a cross up to the back post where Kasey McAteer headed down but Bachmann pushed the ball away.

The second half was a lot more one-way, with Leicester pushing the Hornets further and further back.

Six minutes after the restart Stephy Mavididi played a one-twp with Kelechi Iheanacho but then sent his shot into the side netting.

The Hornets were caught napping by another quick free kick but when Abdul Fatawu pulled the ball back, his fellow sub Jamie Vardy shot way over the top.

With 20 minutes to go Dewsbury-Hall gathered a pass in the box, swivelled and then sent a shot against the upright which bounced to safety.

It was all about whether Watford could hang on, and the home side went very close against three minutes later as from a corner the ball was swung in deeper and the giant Westergaard headed onto the roof of the net.

A minute later there was just a hint it could be Watford’s lucky day as Mavididi crossed Vardy somehow lifted the ball over a gaping net from six yards.

However, having passed up two chances, the former England striker was the man who finally undid Watford.

In the 75th minute Westergaard headed a free-kick goalwards, Bachmann made a fine save but Vardy prodded home the loose ball.

Suddenly, having spent so long getting bodies behind the ball, Watford had to try and go forward.

They made a number of attack-minded substitutions and with two minutes left their chance came and went.

Substitute Girogi Chakvetadze ran at the defence and the ball rolled into the path of the supporting Porteous.

He steamed into the box but went for placement rather than power, and Mads Hermansen makes a routine save.

At the death, it all got a lot worse for the Hornets.

Three minutes into stoppage time Vardy got in behind the defence, steered the ball wide of Bachmann who then pulled him down.

The keeper had been booked earlier and was shown a second yellow, followed by a red.

With all subs used Porteous went in goal, and he was shown no mercy by Vardy who thumped the spot kick past him.

Watford: Bachmann; Andrews, Porteous, Hoedt, Lewis (Martins 83); Livermore (Kone 55), Louza (Chazkvetadze 55), Kayembe; Sema, Rajovic (Bayo 66), Ince (Asprilla 83). Subs: Hamer, Healey, Dele-Bashiru, Morris