Watford twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Boreham Wood in their opening match of pre-season.

The Hornets, who were without Scott Loach, Matty Whichelow, Lee Hodson and Martin Taylor, went behind after 13 minutes through an excellent Mario Noto free kick.

But an even better finish from Watford skipper John Eustace meant the visitors didn't have to wait long for their equaliser.

Sean Dyche's men went into the break behind as Ai Chabaan finished calmly but Piero Mingoia equalised just four minutes into the second half.

Watford, who played completely different line-ups in each half, should have opened the scoring as early as the third minute when Gavin Massey crossed low for Marvin Sordell but the striker fired over from point-blank range.

Boreham Wood rarely troubled the Hornets early on but they broke the deadlock 13 minutes in when Noto curled a right-footed free kick into the top corner from the edge of the area.

Watford started to increase the pressure after the goal and the impressive Sean Murray was unfortunate his shot was deflected narrowly wide following a lay-off by Michael Bryan.

Sordell glanced a header over minutes later from Lloyd Doyley's cross and they finally equalised on the half-hour mark in some style.

Sordell's cross from the right was headed clear and after Eustace chested the ball down 30 yards out, the Hornets skipper volleyed into the bottom corner.

The last ten minutes of the first half provided much more entertainment as both sides tested the opposition keeper.

Sordell and Bryan both forced Michael Jordan into stops and Jonathan Bond saved a 25-yard strike from Daryl McMahon at the second attempt. Watford looked the most likely to score - and Massey almost bundled in after a dropped catch – but it was the home side who went into the break a goal up after scoring slightly against the run of play.

Hesitation from Lloyd Doyley and Adrian Mariappa allowed Chabaan in and he put the ball past Bond with ease from 12 yards out.

The Hornets didn't have to wait long for their equaliser though as Troy Deeney and Britt Assombalonga were unable to apply the finish to Chez Isaac's low cross four minutes into the second half and Mingoia was left free to make it 2-2.

Watford were keeping the ball much better in the second half and there seemed to be a slightly higher energy about their play.

Josh Walker, who was loaned out shortly after his arrival last season, was one of the players who impressed and he almost put Watford in front in the 74th minute.

The former Middlesbrough man showed quick feet to make space on the edge of the area and his powerful left footed strike was palmed out for a corner by Jordon.

Very few chances were created after the break and Boreham Wood had to wait until the 80th minute for their first opportunity of the half. McMahon was the home side's main threat and it was his cross which was headed wide by Simeon Akinola.

Watford thought they had found the winner a minute later when Deeney finished well but the whistle had already gone for offside.

It was Walker again who was next to try his luck but this time the connection was poor and he dragged his effort well wide and the game finished 2-2.

Boreham Wood: Jordan (Baker-Owers); Kamara (Matthews), Brathwaite, Garrard, Smith (Walker), O'Loughlin (D Brathwaite), Chabaan (Akinola), McMahon, Bryant (Yaku), Noto, Godfrey (Hunter).

Subs: Hunter, Akinola, Brathwaite, Yaku, Baker-Owers, Walker.

Watford first half: Bond; Doyley, Mariappa, Mirfin, Tumwa; Bryan, Murray, Eustace, Forsyth; Massey, Sordell.

Watford second half: Gilmartin; Thompson, Hoban, Oshodi, Bennett; Isaac, Jenkins, Walker, Mingoia; Assombalonga, Deeney.