Fire engines were called to a home after a tumble dryer caught fire before the whole kitchen was alight.

Smoke was seen rising from a house in Jacketts Field, Abbots Langley, yesterday evening (November 21) before firefighters tackled the blaze.

Six fire engines from the Garston, Kings Langley, and Watford fire stations were called to the road at 5.37pm.

By the time they arrived, the kitchen and the roof were in flames but firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze.

Herts Fire and Rescue said: “On arrival, the kitchen was well alight and crews used hose reels to tackle the blaze.”

The service confirmed that “fortunately” no one was injured.

Watford Observer: The fire in Jacketts Field.The fire in Jacketts Field. (Image: Contribution)

An eyewitness told the Watford Observer that they had looked out to see the smoke after hearing sirens passing by.

However, they said they could not see the flames and the fire appeared to be contained by Herts Fire and Rescue once they arrived.