Serial rapist Joseph McCann has committed so many crimes it has been difficult to remember all the horrific things he has done.

The 34-year-old, from Aylesbury, was today (Friday, December 6) convicted of 37 offences relating to 11 victims, aged 11 to 71. He will be sentenced on Monday.

Seven of his victims were raped or sexually assaulted. One victim described looking into McCann's eyes as he attacked her and seeing "pure evil".

The victims have been praised for their bravery in reliving their ordeals in court to bring their attacker to justice.

Joseph McCann

Below is a chronological summary of his crimes, which happened over three separate days in April and May this year:

April 21 - Watford

McCann began his reign of terror when he kidnapped and raped a 21-year-old woman walking home from Pryzm nightclub in Watford.

The woman said she was walking alone and on her phone when she felt an arm around her and a knife put to her neck.

After forcing her into his car, he drove her to a library car park where he accused her of being a girl called "Hayley" who was bullying his sister, jurors heard.

He said his sister was going to come to identify her but later changed his story, claiming men would come to beat her up. He convinced her he was part of a "firm" and that she had to take cocaine and have sex with him to avoid being attacked.

McCann took her back to her flat and checked for her brother who she lived with before raping her in her own bed, the court heard.

The next morning, McCann forced her to take more cocaine and drink alcohol before saying he would drop her off at her son's house.

Watford Observer:

Joseph McCann will be sentenced on Monday. Photo: Met Police

April 25 - Walthamstow and Edgware

Four days later, McCann abducted two women from Walthamstow and Edgware.

A 25-year-old woman was kidnapped just a few metres from her home in Walthamstow after midnight on April 25.

The victim told the court McCann had repeated called her Hayley, echoing evidence given earlier by the first victim.

Over the next 14 hours, McCann raped her repeatedly, driving her to different parts of north London and into Epping Forest.

He also threatened to throw her into a canal to "wash the DNA" off her, jurors were told.

At one point he forced her to take out £250 cash and buy him a list of things from a corner shop, including a bottle of vodka.

The shopkeeper asked her if she was okay but the woman was unable to answer because McCann was standing by the door watching her, the court heard.

She said: "Maybe three times over 12 hours he stopped and said he was going to kidnap someone we saw but he didn't."

But just after midday, McCann forced a 21-year-old woman into his car in Edgware.

The 25-year-old woman said: "He told the girl not to use her phone or he would slit her throat or drown her."

McCann locked both women in the car while he went to buy cocaine, before making the older woman perform sex acts on the 21-year-old.

The women managed to escape after he tried to book a hotel room in Watford and the 25-year-old smashed McCann over the head with a vodka bottle.

Watford Observer:

Joseph McCann at Phoenix Lodge in St Albans Road, Watford. Photo: Met Police

May 5 - Manchester

McCann continued his spree of sex attacks in the north 10 days later.

After meeting a mother in a bar, he conned his way into her home in Greater Manchester saying he wanted to make sure she got home okay.

McCann then producing a knife as he ordered the woman to lie down in her son's bedroom, forcing the children into another bedroom.

He then tied her to a bed with an electrical cable and raped her 17-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son.

The girl managed to escape by jumping out of a bedroom window.

The mother said McCann then ran out of the house and her son was able to lock the door and cut her free.

May 5 afternoon - Manchester

Shortly after 1pm the same day, McCann kidnapped a 71-year-old woman as she was about to drive out of a supermarket car park.

In a police interview played to the jury, the pensioner said she had finished shopping at Morrisons when McCann approached her car.

"He got into the passenger seat. I shouted, 'Get out, get out' and that is when he punched me in the face," she told police.

She was driven to an industrial estate car park where he raped her.

With the 71-year-old woman still in the car, McCann later abducted two teenage girls, one of whom he sexually assaulted.

The pensioner, who was driving, eventually pulled up to a service station and ran out of her car.

Watford Observer:

McCann begins his descent from the tree he was cornered in. Photo: Met Police


McCann was later pursued by police while driving the Fiat with the two teenage girls at the back. He ran away after crashing into a Mercedes, leaving the two girls behind.

McCann was arrested after a taxi driver recognised him and led him to police at 8.40pm.

He fled from the taxi and police pursued him into a field where he was found in a tree. After a five-hour stand-off, he was arrested. Watch a video of his arrest here.